Olga Rose Sohmer
I am a holistic counselor, experiential educator, and doctoral candidate in East West Psychology at the California Institute of Integral Studies. In all I do, I am passionate about cultivating the deepest potential of the human mind, body, heart, spirit, and soul. Drawing from a diverse background in transpersonal and depth psychology, transformative coaching, yoga and mindfulness instruction, intergroup dialogue facilitation, and participatory inquiry, I offer a multidimensional approach to my teaching, research, and counseling.
My counseling approach is compassionate and dynamic, informed by training in the Hakomi method of mindfulness-based, body-centered psychotherapy; life coaching certification; and graduate study in spiritual counseling and transpersonal psychology.
My scholarly interests span embodied spirituality, transpersonal and depth psychologies, expanded states of consciousness, archetypal cosmology and mythology, and participatory research. My doctoral research explores the value of Cooperative Inquiry (an experiential, participatory research approach) in the context of transpersonal psychology. I have assisted Embodied Spiritual Inquiry, Holistic Awareness, and Transpersonal Psychology graduate courses and facilitate workshops on embodied spirituality, yoga, and experiential astrology.
Born in Russia, I now live in Nevada City, California with my husband and three-year-old son. Through my work and daily life, I am committed to healing the way human beings relate to ourselves, each other, and the Earth, our home.
- Ph.D., East West Psychology, California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco, California (Expected 2020)
- Masters of Arts, East West Psychology, California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco, California (2014)
- Bachelor of Science, Psychology, Magna Cum Laude, Occidental College, Los Angeles, California (2009)
- Semester Abroad, University of Hyderabad, India (2008)
- Hakomi Comprehensive Training (Year 1), Hakomi California, Berkeley, CA (2016)
- Instructing Trauma-Informed Yoga Training, Niroga Institute, Oakland, CA (2015)
- Advanced Archetypal Astrology Course, with Jessica DiRuzza, California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco, CA (2015)
- Restorative Justice Facilitator Training, SEEDS Restorative Justice Center, Berkeley, CA (2014)
- Yoga for Youth Training, Niroga Instutute, Oakland, CA (2013)
- Life Coach Certification Training, Souluna Life Coaching, Lenox, MA (2011-2012)
- Kripalu Yoga 500-Hour Teacher Training, Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health, Stockbridge, MA (2010-2011)
- Yoga in Schools Teacher Training, Institute for Extraordinary Living, Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health, Stockbridge, MA (2011)
- Reiki Level 2 Attunement, with Libby Barnett, Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health, Stockbridge, MA (2010)
- TESOL Training (teaching English to speakers of other languages), American TESOL Institute, Chiang Mai, Thailand (2009)
- Hatha Yoga 200-Hour RYT Certification, Yandara Yoga Institute, Baja, Mexico (2008-2009)
- Yogic Massage Training, Centre for Holistic Healing and Sciences, Rishikesh, India (2008)
- Ashtanga Yoga Teacher Certification, University of Hyderabad Yoga Center, Hyderabad, India (2008)
- Intergroup Relations and Dialogue Facilitation Training, Occidental College, L.A., CA (2006-2007)